Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Chinese Steamed Fish!!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:37 am 
HSD Member

OK I had a local Hawaiian lady show me how to cook fish Chinese style and wow it is awesome.

Here is what you need:

2tbsp Chinese Garlic Black Bean Sauce
I medium piece of fresh ginger minced, now it needs to be like mush before you mix it with the black bean sauce so it spreads the flavor over the fish and so it doesnt seem over powering in some spots.
1 cup of green onions chopped finely
1 cup of chinese parsley (cilantro)
1/2 cup of peanut oil

Instructions:

Now take that ginger and chop it until your arm feels like it will fall off you want it super super fine take it and mix it with the black bean sauce. Then take you uhu or kumu or uku or toau whatever and clean it and scale it then take the fish and cut slits across the fish and rub the ginger and black bean sauce in the slits and inside the belly then take a pan and lay the fish inside heat your oven to 425 and put about 1/2 cup of water in the pan and cover with tin foil cook until done a big uhu takes about 45 minutes smaller fish probably 30 min. then when you take it out of the oven put the fish on a plate and pout the liquid you cooked the fish in over the fish and take your peanut oil and heat it up until its scorching hot and pour it over the fish (it should sizzle alot) and then put the green onion and cilantro over the fish and enjoy.

I used to give all my uhu's away not anymore this recipe is amazing (atleast I think). I hope you enjoy. Laters Bootspearo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:56 pm 
steamed fish is great. you can also use soy sauce instead of black beans, and add a lot more green onion (like 4-6 cups chopped) and pour the hot peanut oil on after you put on the vegetables (green onions, round onions, shredded ginger, cinaltro). a little mirin lightly drizzled adds some sugar to bring out flavor.

if you want to try the soy sauce version without cooking, you can go to kabuki in waimalu where they have steamed mullet on their menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:01 pm 
Eh boots,
Was ono and simple to make. We tried it last night. Good recipe.

Post subject: mmmmmmm.....thats good
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:27 am 
HSD Member

This recipe is great for any fish. Uhu, goats even tried it with a clean po'ou and it tastes ono. Wrap everything in a ti leaf, tie the leaf with leftover green onion and steam to perfection....mmm i love steaming fish,

hint: add some brown sugar, mean bah!