Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Ni'ihau dive trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:53 pm 
Global Moderator

Aloha divers,
I am trying to put together a group of divers to go on a dive trip with Red Sea Ocean Adventures to Ni'ihau. Ni'ihau, "The Forbidden Island" is located 17 miles southwest of Kauai and "it is a spearfishermens paradise".

I am looking to book the trip for some time in late Feb or early March. The dive will be the option 2 on the liveaboard boat Happy Hunter II,
Option Two - 2 night / 2 day dive
$540/per person(based on party of 6)
$590/per person(based on party of 5)
$650/per person(based on party of 4)

It includes:
ï 2 nights, 2 day dive liveaboard boat charter to Ni'ihau.
ï Boat departs evening of day 1 and returns evening of day 3.
ï Airport transfers from Lihue Airport to Nawiliwili Harbor.
ï All meals, water and soda included.
Terms and Conditions:
ï 25% deposit required to hold reservations
ï Final payments due 14 days prior to departure.
ï Cost does not include airfare or excess baggage
Important Information
ï Boat departs from Nawiliwili Harbor.
ï If weather is not favorable for trip to Ni'ihau, pending Captain's discretion, alternate Kauai dive spots are provided.

Air fare from other islands runs anywhere from $100.00 roundtrip to $140.00 on all three airlines. Unless you already live on Kauai of course.

This will be a trip of a lifetime for most of us, some it maybe a normal dive trip. If you are seriously interested please PM me soon to set up details. There will be only room for 5 more divers. I hope the slots fill soon.
you can check out there web site @ http://www.redseaoceanadventures.com/travel/niihau.html

Aloha divers

Dive Akamai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58 pm 
HSD Member

Location: the glass is neither half full nor half empty -- it's twice as big as it needs to be
umm, hell yes? count me in, just gotta verify the dates with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:03 pm 
HSD Member

Interested...

Never did a dive trip before - what happens to the fish that I shoot? Can I offer it up for meals for everybody and a worker takes care of all the cleaning, cutting and cooking? Or do I have to do any of those chores?

What about fish I want to bring home? How does that work? Are they able to chill/store my fish? What about after I disembark the boat? How do I get the fish home? Costs/Charges?

Would this be over the weekend? I really can't miss work... :( Looking at the site... it says... Boat departs evening of day 1 and returns evening of day 3. So fly in Friday afternoon, leave Friday evening, dive all day Sat, and Sun, come back Sun evening, fly back home Sun night, back to work Monday morning. Doable?

Need to see if I can talk the future wife into giving me this as a birthday present (March) even though it's gonna be MY money...

Dibs on one of the single beds. :)

-Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:23 pm 
HSD Member

Future wife got home - says she's already thought of this and is working on a trip like this through a friend. It would be a day trip only though. :x

This now hinges on one thing... they say "All meals, water and soda included." I eat like you wouldn't believe. I could eat $500 worth of food in a single weekend easy. What kind of food, and is it rationed or all you can eat at any time during the weekend? :D

-Paul

Post subject: questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:19 pm 
Global Moderator

Paul, I will ask Kyle all of your questions. I will PM you with the answer as soon as I hear back from him.

As far as Fri-Sun goes, I am sure that is doable and preferable by the rest of the group. I can miss work but I will see what is best for the group.

I will get back to you ASAP. By the way, since your wife to be is already working a trip are you still interested?

Dive Akamai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:06 pm 
HSD Member

Still interested, I have a feeling that her connection won't follow through.

-Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:46 pm 
HSD Member

Here we go again, its called the forbidden island for a reason.

Post subject: Post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:05 am 
Global Moderator

Aloha everyone,
I didnt post this on here to start any discussion on right or wrong. I am just looking for a group of divers to go on a trip.

So please, if anyone wants to discuss that issue please start a new thread and or search for the old ones. Thank you
Aloha and dive safe

Dive Akamai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:35 am 
HSD Member

I understand and didnt want to rain on your parade, but if you know its a touchy subject and how alot of people feel about it, then I assume you would have expected some sort of negative comments on your thread.

I dont have a strong argument on the legal side because as far as I know those trips abide by all the laws and of course what your are doing is not illegal, but from a conscious side of the issue these trips are not pono and contributing to them is basically raping the resources through a middle man.

Sorry for the derail, I will say no more on your thread, Aloha, dive pono.

Post subject: Full boat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:27 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for all the inquiries. The boat is full! :D

Dive Akamai

Post subject: Re: Ni'ihau dive trip
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:38 pm 
HSD Member

How was the trip? Are those pics in gallery from this trip? If it's too controversial, maybe one of you could post an "O'ahu dive trip report" thread :wink:

Post subject: Re: Ni'ihau dive trip
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:13 am 
HSD Member

I did start to write up a report, but never posted it because 1) I was concerned about being ostracized from the community here due to some less than favorable reports about how the chartered trip was put together/run since this community seems to have a high regard for Kyle/Red Sea Ocean Adventures. Also because 2) diving at Niihau is a touchy subject in itself.

But really, as long as I state facts, I hopefully won't get burned except by those who have an issue with diving off of Niihau (which would be understandable). It was a very good learning experience for me (albeit an expensive one) and I feel others would benefit from learning from my experience so that others don't run into the same issues that we did.

I suppose I should start a new thread. I'll probably put it under Experiences. Look for it there shortly.

-Paul