Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: spotting tako
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:39 pm 
HSD Member

so ive been diving for a year now and ive never spot the tako its always been "hey over here try poke dis" but never "o look theres one" so what would you look for??

Post subject: Re: spotting tako
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:01 am 
HSD Member

pay attention to the little details not the overall big picture.

look for rocks or shells out of place or a rock pile that does not match the surrounding area

look for unusual goat/wrasse fish movement - can lead u to a tako

any black dot dat no look like a vana, poke it. if it is a tako, remember wat the surround area looked like.

ignorance is not an excuse!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:26 pm 
HSD Member

yotd1976 wrote:
any black dot dat no look like a vana, poke it. if it is a tako, remember wat the surround area looked like.

HaHa! I did that once, and a huge Moray came out to give me the WTF?! Look. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by toku58 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:41 pm 
HSD Member

Just dive with me. I'm practically an expert at spotting takos. Not. :x I keep trying tho.

-Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 am 
finding tako is def a skill that I havn't mastered yet.. there are some tricks as mentioned above.. there's also a lot more somewhere here on the forum.. just need to search it.. and also check out alawaiman's videos on youtube, he's got vids strictly tako hunting that are a good learning device.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 am 
HSD Member

:wink: some have it and some don't! Lucky for me I have it!.............it's the tako eye! Cheeedoggie!!

Respect the culture...A'ole windmills on Lana'i!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:57 am 
HSD Member

Bu I get the mean tako eye. I spot em everytime I dive. Favorite dive spot is Foodland's seafood section. :lol: AWRITE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:32 pm 
HSD Member

Little Munu's will give them away that's for sure. Look for odd coral heads that change color...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:44 pm 
HSD Member

I'm still learning myself...What works for me is to either concentrate on tako or fish but not both at the same time...Look ahead instead of straight down...By looking down directly beneath you the tako has seen you and will most likely have changed color to match the surrounding terrain and will be more difficult to see...When scanning ahead try to look for the tako resting on a rock or coral and the telltale color off dark reddish brown and a raised appearance like a elongated dome...When you see it, stop and check it out and slowly approach...If it is a tako it will move downwards to hide...I don't use 3 pong but shoot tako with my speargun aiming just below the eyes...Just personal preference...Release and come up for air while the tako is secured on the shaft...While tako can be anywhere, I notice that more often they are in clean water and can be more easily seen in flatter terrain with smaller rocks and coral and a little sand...About twice a year in spring and the approaching fall they start to mate and approach shallower waters...This is good as you may find two tako close to each other...I don't bite between the eyes...Use dive knife with a couple quick jabs just behind/on top of eyes does the trick...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:37 pm 
HSD Member

Spotting tako can be hard and it can take a long time to find them depending on where you are diving. When I go tako diving I get fooled more often than not. I usually have better luck finding them in their holes so I look for rocks that seem out of place or that are nicely piled up. Once I find something I kind of just float around checking out the area for something that doesn't look normal. This could be fish hanging around/looking at hole but not going in or a slight color variation in the reef or sand. Often times the tako will give itself away by blushing (that's why you have to move slow) or by blinking at you.

There are other tell tell signs of tako but I've been drinking and am tired of typing. :?

Na Kane O Ke Kai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 am 
HSD Member

kaimalia wrote:
shoot tako with my speargun aiming just below the eyes...

If you shoot the tako before you tickle it out of the hole, how can you tell if it's a legal size? You can't return it if it's too small. And don't you worry about bending your shaft since you're essentially shooting straight into rock/coral? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:39 am 
HSD Member

:) Flat grounds are the beast places to find them...Then when you do see one, in a hole, as your working it, look around...you'll find others scattered about. I have found them above skeletal coral-heads as kaimalia's seen them. Several ways have already been mentioned on this thread. And yes....watching "alawaiman's" videos....Braddah you can learn a lot! One of my favorite ways are when just cruising above nice flat-grounds. I would slap the surface with my hand, and as Haole Scott mentioned, they will blush if their there.... :D Practice makes perfect as the saying goes. Keep at it, and you WILL get 'da "Tako-Eye"...Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:52 pm 
HSD Member

really it begins with where you dive at..look for river outlets or freshwater entering..tako no like dat kine...depending what island..or i should say what side of island you diving, everyplace has its different surroundings..1) out of place such as upside down rocks,pile of little rocks next to a puka..not a big hole necessarily, because tako can squeeze into some tight pukas 2)try night dives..dey always out an about 3)..one trick i learn from da old mans..look for da one dat get plenty limu around...das da bes kine...LOL...hunt safe

NA KANE O KEKAI N3K 2011
N3K'S newest B.I. member..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 pm 
HSD Member

FINALLY found some tako two in one place but never poke um. the first one was good size, i saw it when i was chasing goat, it was hiding on the side of one rock and i thought to myself, rocks dont move but i looked away to find my float and when i looked back it was gone. the second one was small so i let it go, i found that one while lying on the bottom and it was turning red. thnx for the advice everyone.