Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: A whole new perspective
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 pm 
HSD Member

Spearfishing has made me a very spoiled person.

By eating fish, my taste buds became very hard to please. As a newbie free-diver, I tried all the different types of Hawaiian reef-fish; Kalas, Palani's, etc. But as I grew as a diver, I yielded away from those "fishy" fishes. I no longer ate them, or even considered shooting one. As I grew into a better diver, it became much easier for me to shoot other prizeable fishes such as Uhu's, Uku's, Mu's, Omilu's, big Goats, and all the other "high dollar" fishes. Being so picky, I no longer shot anything else. I became selective, and I started noticing the gradual decline of the fish I've been targeting, not only due to me but other divers alike. This made me realize that I've been doing quite a bit of damage to our Hawaiian reefs, and now I try to avoid shooting the targeted endemic Hawaiian fishes that are growing more and more scarce.

Anyhow, recently I've just been targeting the invasive species and try to limit my take on those "prize" fishes. But I personally find it funny how the population of those "fishy" fishes never seem to change in the areas that I dive. Maybe everyone else is selective like me?? (not a good thing)

Anyhow, tonight at dinner, I had a reef-fish cook-off with some friends. We each brought a single fish and had a challenge to who could create the best tasting dish.

I was surprised to see that one of my friends actually brought a Palani. I quickly assumed that my secret boiled uku recipe would blow everyone's mind. Of course, everyone loved my dish. But up next was the Palani, and I'll be honest, I was a little hesitant to even take a bite because I anticipated that lingering old reef fishy taste. But I talked myself into doing so, and to my amazement, this fish was DELICIOUS. I'm not sure on how he cooked it or what his recipe was, but it BLEW away the taste of my prized uku.

Palani and several other species were fishes that I assumed only "beginners" shot. My reasoning was that since they were easy fish to shoot, people would pick them up. Naive as I am, I was quick to assume that they must not be good divers because hey "who shoots that fishy fish called a Palani?" Stupid CJ, stupid.

This is a kinda long story and stuff, but the point that I'm tryna make is that divers all around should learn from my mistake and expand their horizon. Try different things, shoot different fish and experiment with them. Communicate with others, ask them what they enjoy eating, and most importantly, don't be quick to jump to conclusions.

I'm a young free-diver that just realized how little I actually know

Post subject: Re: A whole new perspective
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:58 pm 
nice perspective.

lucky you learned earlier? some will never know.

i for one have gone to eating nenues raw. before i used to see them as the potential biohazard risk in the cooler if someone didn't clean it right away before heading in the cooler. now, all i see are gray blobs of poke. :D

had a discussion about this topic yesterday with another diver. ie...do i shoot 1-2 1.5 kumus or take a 4lber. no more clear cut answer. but who said it? 672? brian f.? darrell? rotate your catch and pound those invasives and you're already way better than most divers as far as mentality goes. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:15 am 
HSD Member

Knife fish FTW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 am 
HSD Member

I thinks this happens to most diver who have been diving long enough. I always used to catch kalas and palanis when i first started to grill and dip and butter, but now days its all about baked uhu, mu, and ukus.

The invasives are also good such as fried toau, but it just sucks scaling them :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 am 
HSD Member

roikiller wrote:
i for one have gone to eating nenues raw. before i used to see them as the potential biohazard risk in the cooler if someone didn't clean it right away before heading in the cooler. now, all i see are gray blobs of poke. :D

why are nenue a biohazard?

To meet the mighty gods, deep within the ocean
And if you're not prepared, your soul will not be spared

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:17 am 
HSD Member

Murmaider wrote:
roikiller wrote:

why are nenue a biohazard?

Because they are super stank when not gutted it water :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 am 
i shot a big Palani yesterday ... but buggah slid off my shaft after almost tiring himself out my barb closed :shock: went down to look for him...no luck water was dirty. thing was hugh tho 8 lbs ?
also ive been taking big Kala's my Haole neighbors love that fish they eat it to the bone !! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am 
HSD Member

roikiller wrote:
...had a discussion about this topic yesterday with another diver. ie...do i shoot 1-2 1.5 kumus or take a 4lber. no more clear cut answer. but who said it? 672? brian f.? darrell? rotate your catch and pound those invasives and you're already way better than most divers as far as mentality goes. :D

several people said it, including Matt, even you. It's good to rotate your targets

Hypocrisy these days is not a fault but a lifestyle.
No Home, No Fish

http://fishtoday.org (the views expressed are my own and do not specifically represent that of PIFG)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:40 pm 
HSD Member

I think a big reason some people stay away from certain fish has to do with the way it was cooked. For the longest time I stayed away from nenue because I thought it was just to strong flavored. Every time I was served this fish it tasted funky. Yesterday I caught one and followed the instructions. You know, clean it in the water and cook it without the head or any other bloody parts. It came out fantastic. I really enjoyed it. More so than some of the other fish I have had recently. I think finding the right way to prepare the fish you catch have such a major impact on how you enjoy it. Now I need to find a good Naenae recipe besides grilling. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 pm 
HSD Member

Mahalo for the mana'o C.J.

I am also a young diver, younger in experience than you probably. Currently, I'm at the stage where I'm passing up all those fishy reef fish (palani, kala, nenue, etc), and even uhu's and sometimes goats (after I've had em for dinner recently enough). I'm trying to target omilu's, mu, hopefully uku, and those other "prize" fish. I also feel myself moving towards that connoisseur mentality that alot of divers get to. I've had plenty of reef fish, uhu, and goats. My tastes buds are craving more. I'm sure once I'm able to rotate my catch between the "fishy fish" and the "prize fish", my urge to eat those "prize fish" will decline and my perspective and taste buds will open up.

Just an observation from today's dive:
- Plenty of reef fish, i.e. uhu, kala, palani, nenue, etc.
- Decent but definitely less amount of goats, omilu, and mu, along with some monster uku sightings.
- Passed up all of the reef fish in patience of an omilu, mu, uku, etc.
- Killed 3 roi and wounded 1

Pound invasives, rotate your catch, and evolve your taste buds and culinary skills :D One step closer to a healthy reef.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:03 pm 
HSD Member

Ive also been a bit to picky lately. Came home empty handed on my last 3 dives cuz of it :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:24 am 
Brian F. wrote:
roikiller wrote:
...had a discussion about this topic yesterday with another diver. ie...do i shoot 1-2 1.5 kumus or take a 4lber. no more clear cut answer. but who said it? 672? brian f.? darrell? rotate your catch and pound those invasives and you're already way better than most divers as far as mentality goes. :D

several people said it, including Matt, even you. It's good to rotate your targets

i should give myself more credit! ha ha ha :D

over the weekend i thought of something else. maybe as far as divers go, we should also be focused on our culinary ability. easy to prepare mu or uku, but to have the cooking ability to make 'less appealing' (this is subjective thought of course) into something anyone can enjoy, then they are a true fishermen....fishermen existed in the first place for the purpose of putting food on the table. so maybe all of us need to put our guns away for a while and go to KCC and take some classes? mongoose fish gumbo? awaawa tartare? table boss tostadas? i never looked at the hsd recipes section closely, but how far have we pushed the envelope on expanding the repertoire of cooking styles/methods? maybe gotta start looking at other cuisines we don't have in hawaii and that would work with other fish.

sorry...watched bourdain's no reservations last night and he some kind of stew with fish that looked like hinaleas AND the funny thing is it looked appetizing! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
HSD Member

Quote:
table boss tostadas? i never looked at the hsd recipes section closely, but how far have we pushed the envelope on expanding the repertoire of cooking styles/methods? maybe gotta start looking at other cuisines we don't have in hawaii and that would work with other fish.

I make fish tacos with table boss and palanis. lime them buggas and you canna tell. soup um with tamirind too is ono.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 pm 
HSD Member

jboy wrote:
Quote:
table boss tostadas? i never looked at the hsd recipes section closely, but how far have we pushed the envelope on expanding the repertoire of cooking styles/methods? maybe gotta start looking at other cuisines we don't have in hawaii and that would work with other fish.

I make fish tacos with table boss and palanis. lime them buggas and you canna tell. soup um with tamirind too is ono.

NICE! table boss tacos! I got one sitting in the freezer right now.. thats next on the menu!