Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Kawabunga polespear
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:05 am 
HSD Member

Ive heard about this spear and wondered what it was. Can anyone give me more details on this pole spear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:43 am 
The kawabunga's spear mentioned is a solid graphite shaft which has an aluminum sleeve over the back half of the shaft. Graphite tends to bow at longer lengths so the aluminum sleeve helps the shaft maintain its straightness. Also, the aluminum sleeve gives a little added weight so when it is fired, there is an added punch. There is an article that Gene Higa did in a back issue of Hawaii Skin Diver magazine about the kawabunga spear. Stop by any Hanapaa Store and they have the back issues available. It is WORLD'S better than the Sea Horse Hammer(similar 3 prong but hollow aluminum in the back half). Remember to twist the rubber around the shaft always before firing to make sure that the 3 prong shoots straight. Its like throwing a fastball vs. throwing a knuckleball. A fastball has rotation and will fly in a predicted plane. A knuckleball on the other hand has no rotation and therefore the path of flight is unpredictable. Same thing with 3 prongs. Any aluminum 3 prongs you HAVE to twist the rubber or else it will snap in half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:51 am 
HSD Member

i would like explain but is better if you see for your self, you can check them out at any one of the three Hanapa'a stores. Locations are Pearlridge mall, Ala Moana mall and our main store in kalihi off of Dilingham rd. our staff is very knowledgable and are more than willing to explain and show you the diferences between the various types. Enjoy.

~JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:29 am 
HSD Member

it is a good 3 prong, fast and strong. it can handle big fish and you can pick it up at hanapaa or maui.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:31 am 
HSD Member

Guys, Noob is from California, so going down to Hanapaa Fishing is out of the question...I think. He was looking for information and discussion on Pole Spearfishing and I mentioned to him that most of us "locals" start off with a pole spear. So any more tips would be appreciated. Maybe Gene will drop in and share some tips.

Noob, the Kawabunga spears sell for about $60-$90, depending on which store you order it from. They also come in different lengths..sorry, can't tell you the lengths. You can call Hanapaa Fishing at 808 845-1865 and they can tell you what is in stock and what shipping would be to California. A few guys on this board work at Hanapaa, maybe they can help out. You can also call Tokunaga Fishing Supply in Hilo, Hawaii. I don't have their number off hand, do a web seach, they have a simple website with phone number. Kawabunga spears are made on the Big Island of Hawaii.

If you want to see underwater footage of this spear being used, checkout the Epic spearfishing video. I think it can be ordered through this website. Or call Hanapaa Fishing. Once Hanapaahawaii.com gets their website together, you should be able to see pics of what they sell.

Perhaps someone who owns one of these spears will be nice enough to post a pic in the gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:44 am 
I don't believe there's any footage of a Kawabunga in the Epic video - Gene is using a homemade pole spear.

Are Kawabungas really made with graphite through the back end or is this a newer design? I bought one at Nanko's a few years ago & the aluminum back was bent when my stepdad tossed a bunch of stuff on it by mistake. I can't see it bending in several places(my futile efforts to straighten it) with a solid graphite core. :?:

Overall, it's a great spear & the best I've used by far. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:09 pm 
HSD Member

I was wondering, should you twist the rubber for all spearpoles or just this specofic one? Never really heard or twisting the rubber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:39 am 
noobdiver,
when you twist the rubbers for a three prong, it means to twist the rubbers around the 3 prong while pulling the rubbers. Firstly, it prevents the 3 prong from breaking in half if it is of a softer type material such as aluminum. Secondly, it will be a straighter shot because instead of "just pulling the rubbers" where the stress point is at the back of the 3 prong, you'll see the 3 prong bow from the back vs. twisting, the stress is delivered evenly throughout the 3 prong making it shoot straighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:40 am 
oh yeah forgot to answer your question.....i would recommend to twist for all 3 prongs....sorry :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:44 am 
HSD Member

Thank you :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:37 am 
HSD Member

My friend has a kawabunga. He said it was an awesome spear with lots of punch. Only problem is the aluminum part of his spear is bent at several places :( (with the try make um straight again fix but not the same) I have an regular graphite 3 prong and as long as you remember to twist your rubba's around the shaft ( sounds funny :lol: ) it works great
Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:01 am 
HSD Member

Should i twist rubbers for say a detatchable rock point to? Or should rubbers only be twisted for 3 prongs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:06 am 
HSD Member

Location: Central Maui (Kahului) but can go wherever da fish are
Twist for any tip. It is to help keep all the tension off the pole and to lessen the grip strength you need to hold it. Twsiting it, as mentioned above, will help a 3 prong open up wider, but with a rock point, it doesn't change the impact size of the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:43 am 
HSD Member

Gene has already put his two cents in on another post called " twisting a 3 prong" under "tech tips & advise" use the search to find.

~JC