Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Ciguatera
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:46 pm 
HSD Member

Question for anyone that can answer. I went diving yesterday and shot one nice size roi. I brought em home and decided to test em for cig. I have the orage test kit, but the thing confused me. The stick came out a light light blue. What does that mean? The instructions say that if the stick changes colors then not to eat. BUt change from what? Is it supposed to change colors as it is drying? I'm a little confused. I should have bought the blue kit, cause at least it has a color chart to guage the results. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:29 pm 
HSD Member

I was reading the latest issue of Hawaii Fishing News, they have monthly reports of cases of Ciguatera cases. It list's as number of cases per island, per fish. Oahu did not show any reported cases of Ciguatera, the only island that there were a report of Ciguatera were: Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. I'm not sure of your test results, just wanted to pass on some info.

CHEE HAWW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:18 pm 
HSD Member

i hate to say it, but i probably wouldn't eat it. If the label say " if the stick changes colors", then i would take it as if it changes "any" colors other than it's "original" color. but then again if it's a big okole fish worth spending more bucks on then i may just buy a more dependable and easier to understand test kit. better safe then a burning hole :mrgreen:
shoots.

~JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:43 pm 
HSD Member

yo carols this weekend i get to work wit jon mark and travis..looking forward to it..damm man too bad u cant dive till later on but ya shoots..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:07 am 
HSD Member

I guess by now the roi would have gone bad, you threw it out, or ate it. When in doubt don't eat it. However I think I have the same kit as you do and used it on a roi. At first it looked positive, however I noticed that the test stick had stained right above the actual part that is supposed to signal the presence of cig. Once I covered this part up (the part above the testing surface that had turned blue) the stick looked white, instead of having changed colors. It was one of them weird things your eyes do. The other suggestion is to hold up the test sticks up against a white background (if you didn't do that originally). Anyways I hope some of that made sense.

C-Trout